Guidance for Leaving Certificate Students – Monthly Goal Setting 2012/13
- Familiarise yourself with the 2012 CAO Points requirements.
- Read through “Calendar of Career Events” and highlight events of interest to you.
- Explore www.cao.ie www.qualifax.ie www.careersportal.ie
- can you shortlist course options???
- www.ucas.ie – for those considering applying to Northern Ireland – U.K.
- Guidance Appointment
- Careers Interest/Assessment
- Exam Preparation – Goal Setting/Targets
- Read CAO HANDBOOK – Keep in a safe place!
- Research and Shortlisting of UCAS Colleges and Courses – N. Ireland – U.K.
- Check dates for UCAS applications. Closing date for Medicine/Dentistry/Veterinary/also Oxford & Cambridge Courses
- Guidance Appointment
- Where am I now?? – Shortlist of CAO Course Options
- CAO Applications can be processed – no need to wait until the final deadline.
- The CAO Online Application service is available from 12 noon on 1st November.
- UCAS Applications – GC recommends UCAS Applications are paid and sent by 30th NOV.
- Be aware of “Restricted Entry Courses” – may not be applied for after the 1st Feb 2013
- UCAS Applications – Closing Date 15thJanuary
- Finalise CAO Application – Read CAO Handbook Carefully
- UCAS closing date, Jan 15 2011.
- Focus on Preparation for Pre-exams/Project Work/Oral Preparation
- Goal- setting/Targets
- Research PLC Options
- Check dates for Interview/Portfolio Assessment for Restricted Entry Courses.
- Debrief Pre-Exam Results
- On-going research and checking on new course news on www.cao.ie or careers notice-board
- Please take note of Scholarship information and deadlines.
- Research accommodation and financial support – useful website www.studentfinance.ie
- Check Alert Lists for course changes on www.cao.ie
- LCVP Exam
- Check you have received a “Statement of Application Record” from CAO and verify that all information is correct! If you do not receive a Statement of Application Record by June 1st – contact CAO immediately.
- For example, if you have an exemption from Irish you should ensure that you have made contact with the college directly
May – 1st July Change of Mind facility open to CAO Applicants
- Leaving Certificate Exams begin 5th June 2013
- Apply for Student Grant – www.studentfinance.ie SUSI
- Apply for Financial support / Grants/ Scholarships etc.
- Exam results 14th Aug 2013
- CAO offers Round 1 19th Aug – Check Places Available if you don’t receive an offer.
- Finalise Accommodation and Finance
P. White, Guidance & Counselling,